ABOUT NAPERVILLE CHORUS: Founded in 1976; is a non-auditioned SATB chorus, and a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization – comprised of approximately 80+ singers post-COVID. We are an organization dedicated to the advancement of choral music, the encouragement of participation in group singing, the presentation of choral programs, and the encouragement of cultural music in the community. The Chorus is closely associated with North Central College and is privileged to call Wentz Concert Hall and Fine Arts Center our performance and rehearsal home. We are also part of the Music Department curriculum, where students can earn college credit through Chorus participation.
Our website is napervillechorus.org
We seek a Music Director to implement the artistic and strategic vision of the Chorus, and who can work closely with an active Board of Directors.
- Outstanding musicianship
- Excellent rehearsal and pedagogical skills
- Effective conducting skills for a variety of ensemble types
- Strong sense of collaboration
- Experience leading a medium-to-large ensemble (>75 members)
- Substantial knowledge of choral repertoire
- An agreeable and professional disposition
- Project management skills to plan, prepare, and execute performances
- Advanced degree (MA, MM, DMA, PhD) in a related field
- Competent keyboard skills, including modest accompaniment patterns
- A nuanced approach to programming both classics and lesser-known works
- An active commitment to incorporate more diverse perspectives
- A passion for fostering musicianship in the Chorus
- A lucid vision for the expansion and enrichment of the Chorus
- Select the repertoire for performance
- Plan and conduct weekly rehearsals on Monday evenings from 7:30pm-9:30pm at North Central College, plus any additional stage rehearsals as needed for final concert preparations.
- Lead the Chorus through a rehearsal season stretching from September to May (typically includes a July 4th collaboration with the municipal band)
- Conduct a minimum of two major concerts per year (Fall, Spring, other)
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director and Accompanist
- Identify opportunities for the Chorus to collaborate with other musicians, groups, and at different venues.
- Work with Music Chair to ensure that current season music is selected and purchased in a timely fashion
- Attend Board meetings, when invited, to provide music ideas for the following season
- Assist Board in planning annual budget
- Attend Chorus Annual meeting (currently on Zoom)
- Provide College with attendance and grade reports for enrolled students
Compensation and Benefits:
Part-time Employee Annual Salary: $12,000-Paid $6,000/per semester.
Email the following to the Search Committee at email@example.com:
- Cover letter describing who you are, why you are applying and current resume/CV (PDF preferred)
- Phone and email information for 3-4 professional references, at least one familiar with your choral conducting
- Samples of 2-3 past programs that exemplify your work
- Links to video(s) that demonstrate your conducting in rehearsal (preferred) or performance.